Galaxy of Stars

Finally put the finishing touches to my latest quilt this month. Unfortunately it's been one of those projects that has stuck around for far too long.The inspiration came from Scrap Quilt Sensation by Katharine Guerrier, which I bought from the Festival of Quilts after seeing the beautiful display of the quilts from the book. The colours were fantastic and I just had to have a go too.

The whole quilt was both hand pieced and hand quilted which is why it took such a long time to make. It was the quilting that took the majority of the time. I think i was quite ambitious to quilt a double bed size quilt by hand, as well as the fact that I used feathers as part of the quilting so it wasn't a simple design either. The below photo shows some of the quilting detail.

I made the quilt to keep for myself and it's large enough for two to snuggle underneath comfortably in the cold months.

I used all my favourite pieces of fabric from my stash and it's been quite a good stash buster using up all those little pieces of fabric that I'd been saving for something special.
Though after a bit of inspiration and some very sore fingers I have a finished quilt; with thanks to a friend for letting me use her embroidery machine to make a label for it.

Comments

  1. Wow this is gorgeous. I would love to make something like this. I once made a log cabin top for a cot which I was quite pleased with (I did use a sewing machine to piece together)but I have never got round to the quilting, all my samples ended up as grubby little rags and all the stitches were uneven – I'm just no good at hand sewing. Did it take you long to get stitches so neat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely comment. Once you are using the right materials, it's not too difficult to get nice neat stitches. Though, it did take several months to hand quilt. A labour of love, I suppose!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment